Early 1950’s: Milton Schwaber’s son-in-law, Howard “Boots” Wagonheim rebrands Schwaber Theaters as “The World Fare Cinemas”, and opens Baltimore’s first art-house cinemas featuring first-run foreign films while serving coffee, cappuccino and biscotti (instead of Coke and Popcorn). Wagonheim expands Schwaber’s art-house presence by transforming The Homewood into The Playhouse (1951) and The Linden into The Cinema (1955).
1951: The World Fare Cinemas opens the Pulaski Drive-In on a 34-acre lot in Northeastern Baltimore County. The World Fare Cinemas will eventually grow to a 13-theater chain offering its patrons first-run foreign films, drive-ins, and neighborhood family theaters.
1954: Purchases 4 acres at the corner of East Cold Spring Lane and Loch Raven Boulevard featuring Cold Spring Shopping Center, a neighborhood community shopping center, and the Enoch Pratt Free Library.
1956: Purchases a series of adjacent lots on East Cold Spring Lane, leasing to a combination of gas stations and retailers.